Sunday, January 15, 2012

Christmas & Our 1st Anniversary

Christmas was very special this year. It was our first Christmas married and it also marked our first year of marriage. The year went by so fast we couldn't believe it and it wasn't anything like what people told us about the rough 1st year of marriage. All I can say (knock on wood) I hope they are all as easy as our 1st year of marriage.

For Christmas, Matthew's parents made a last minute decision to come to Utah for Christmas. We enjoyed a couple evening with them before the holidays which included Matthew joining them to go to Temple Square and him going shooting with his dad and brothers. For Christmas though, we spent it with my family in North Ogden. Matthew and I didn't have a long visit with them. We went North on Dec 23rd and headed back Christmas Night. But we were there for the most important parts. Which for me wasn't even Christmas but the evening of the 23rd. We made special arrangments for my parents and all of my siblings to go to the temple to do the temple work for my brother Marcus. We wanted to make this experience extra special not just by all being able to go do it together but we also went on Marcus' 39th birthday. I can't explain how amazing it was to be waiting in the chapel and looking around to see all of my family with me in a very holy place. There were lots of tears but also so many good feelings. I almost hope we can make this a tradition for every year.

After Christmas, Matthew and I had made plans to celebrate our 1st anniversary in a big way. We have been planning our first anniversary for a long time. In August, we reserved a room at Anniversary Inn in Salt Lake City. And we made arrangments to take the day off from work so we could have a long weekend and really savor our 1st year of marriage. But while we were North Ogden at my parent's for Christmas, a stomach flu was attacking our family. We thought we left early enough that we didn't catch it but the day before our annniversary Matthew caught it. And then it was inevitable that I would be getting it too. Fortunately, I didn't get the stomach flu but just a terrible cold. So to our dismay, we had to cancel our plans and just spend a quiet night at home eating our 1 year old wedding cake. Which by the way, was actually just as good as on our wedding day!!! As disappointing as it was, it is ok because we will have MANY more anniversaries to come. Plus we are going on a Western Carribean Cruise in January......we will celebrate our first year then.

1 comment: