Matthew was introduced to the Shelton family much quicker than I had planned to induct him to the large overbearing family. We had found out at Easter that Marcus had Gastric Cancer but we were hoping that through surgery he would be able to fight this cancer. The day of Marcus's Gastric Bypass and only after 10 days of Matthew and I had been dating, I got a call from my dad on my drive home from work. He gave me the terrible news that Marcus's conditions were much worse than the doctors and we had expected. I was devastated. I didn't know what this meant exactly right now but I knew I didn't want to be alone right now. Matthew was already at work when I called him in tears and told him of heartache. He could feel my need to be with someone at this time and told his boss he had to take the day off from working before he had really even started his work day. I then got a call from my dad again saying that he, my brother, Matt, and my sister-in-law, Nikki, would meet me in Salt Lake City for dinner if I wanted to meet them. Without hesitation Matthew agreed that he would have the fated family meeting much earlier than he had anticipated. But it was very quick that my dad realized how much Matthew would sacrifice to be there for me and earned a lot of respect for Matthew.That weekend Marcus and Colleen made an impromptu decision to come to Utah to be with family during this hard t
ime of cooping with the news. Matthew once again was delighted and quick to agree to come home with me for the weekend even though Matthew was working over the weekend and was going to have to do lots of driving to spend as much time as he could with my family. Being together as a family really helped with all of us to deal with the long road that might be ahead of us. We found ways to coop by talking, laughing, reminiscing, and stress relieving activities like going to the movies, eating, and pedicures. Matthew won over my family with his eagerness to help out, laid back attitude, and being able to handle the Shelton chaos.The Shelton fa
mily started rallying around Marcus and we all were trying to find ways to travel to Boise to see Marcus. Marcus and I planned a trip to Colleen's family's cabin for Memorial Day Weekend. Marcus wanted to get to know Matthew better on a one-on-one basis and I needed my favorite brother's approval. Marcus did what he did best and showed us a good time by making all tra
veling arrangements, making sure we were comfortable and entertained. He even found and purchased us Colbie Caillat concert tickets for the weekend. By the end of the trip, I had gotten Marcus's stamp of approval and Matthew had singled out Marcus as his favorite.In the month of June, I decided I wanted to show Matthew my childhood stomping grounds in Boise and take the opportunity to see Marcus again while he was

taking a break from chemo treatments. It was good to see that even though Marcus was going through so much he was being so optimistic about life still. He once again treated like guests in his home even though he was worn out from his medical conditions. Marcus took as much interest as me in showing Matthew the beauty of Boise. We went downtown to the Farmer's market, met my family the Littlebear's, and our family favorite of the paddle boats.For the next few months, I would call Marcus several mornings a week on my drive to work in the morning. I would update him on Matthew and me and he would update me on his radiation and chemo treatments. Marcus then started asking the inevitable question as to when Matthew and I were going to get married. He did this mostly in teasing but also because I know he wanted to see my happiness. There was one day he had taken a little to far for me and he could tell I was upset at the end of our conversation. That night he called my cell and I screened it. Instead of asking me to call back on his voice mail he politely apologized for being so pushy and expressed that he really liked Matthew and that he only wanted to see me get married in the temple unlike he had shown through his example.
After Matthew and I got engaged, I regret that my calls weren't as often to Marcus. I took for granted how well Marcus was accepting the Cancer treatments and thought we had a long time together. I turned down chances to visit him for wedding plans and I looked forward to his visit with Colleen to North Ogden for my bridals showers. Although on Nov 5, 2010, Marcus passed away suddenly and very unexpectedly. When I got this dreaded call, I was devastated. This couldn't have just happened!! My fairy tale ending couldn't happen without him there by my side. All I could think about is Marcus not being at my wedding, the wedding that he had been so monumental in. My children someday couldn't love and title Marcus as their favorite uncle. He would be at family reunions for me to pal around with. He wouldn't help me to herd my family to move on family plans. He wouldn't be at family gatherings to delight us all with his sense of humor and laughter. The next week, Matthew was my rock. I had to depend on him for everything. I can't even imagine how I could have handled such a tragedy like this without him. I have now come to realize that although Marcus will not be with me physically, he will be there on my wedding day and just as happy as he can be for me. I am so grateful I found my eternal best friend before I lost my best friend, Marcus Norvell Shelton.
love the blog jenny. i laughed i cried you guys are soooo cute! ;) also stupendous job with the life sketch -- i was so pleased and impressed, and i'm sure marcus was too. -- nate
ReplyDeleteSo sweet Jenny. It's so wonderful that God had you meet Matthew when you did. Sounds like God knew when you two were suppose to hook up :0) He knew you were going to need someone special to see you through these trials.
ReplyDelete